If you are suffering from a herniated disc, it can be difficult to find natural solutions that don’t involve surgery or prescription medications. But the good news is there are many lifestyle changes and treatment options available for helping your body heal naturally. Chiropractic care, acupuncture, physical therapy (PT), supplements and sleep positions all have their part to play in healing a herniated disc naturally. In this blog post we will explore these methods of how to heal a herniated disc naturally so that you can get back on track with improved health and well-being!
Table of Contents:
- Lifestyle Changes to Help Heal a Herniated Disc
- Natural Treatment Options for Herniated Discs
- Chiropractic Care for Herniated Discs
- Sleep Positions to Help Heal a Herniated Disc
- FAQs in Relation to How to Heal a Herniated Disc Naturally
- Conclusion to How to Heal a Herniated Disc Naturally
Lifestyle Changes to Help Heal a Herniated Disc
Living with a herniated disc can be painful and debilitating. Fortunately, there are lifestyle changes you can make to help heal the injury naturally. How to heal a herniated disc naturally?
- Avoid Activities That Put Strain on Your Back: To reduce the strain on your back, avoid activities that involve lifting heavy objects or participating in contact sports such as football or rugby. If you must lift something heavy, use proper form and technique to ensure that your back is not put under too much stress. Keep your back straight and bend your knees to reach the object and use your legs to lift not your back. Additionally, if you have an office job, make sure that your workstation is ergonomically designed for optimal comfort and support of your spine.
- Maintain Good Posture: Poor posture can cause undue stress on the discs in your spine which may worsen existing herniation symptoms or even lead to new ones developing over time. Therefore it’s important to maintain good posture when sitting or standing by keeping your shoulders relaxed and aligned with the rest of your body while also avoiding slouching forward at all times.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise helps strengthen core muscles, which provide additional support for the spine. This reduces pressure on spinal discs, thus helping them heal faster from any existing damage caused by a herniated disc condition. Try engaging in low-impact exercises such as walking, swimming, yoga or Pilates; these will help improve strength without putting too much strain on affected areas of the body like other more strenuous forms of exercise might do. Whenever possible, opt for gentler forms of physical activity such as stretching exercises instead.
- Eating foods rich in vitamins A & C along with omega-3 fatty acids helps promote healing within our bodies since they contain anti-inflammatory properties which aid recovery from injuries like those caused by herniated discs. Additionally, consuming plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables provides essential nutrients needed for overall health maintenance, including those required specifically for repairing damaged tissues within our spines.
- Vitamins are one way of how to heal a herniated disc naturally: Vitamins and minerals can help to reduce inflammation associated with herniated discs. Vitamin C, vitamin D, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, glucosamine and chondroitin are all beneficial for this condition. Additionally, some studies have suggested that certain B vitamins may also be helpful in reducing pain caused by a herniated disc. It is important to speak with your doctor before taking any supplements as they can interact with medications or other health conditions you may have. Taking the correct dosage of these vitamins and minerals can help reduce inflammation and improve overall health when dealing with a herniated disc.
- Getting enough quality sleep every night is essential when recovering from any type of injury since it gives our bodies time to repair itself during its natural healing process. This becomes especially important when dealing with conditions related to spinal injuries like those associated with herniated discs, as sleeping positions play an integral role in providing relief from pain associated with this particular condition. Therefore, try experimenting different types until finding one most comfortable before settling into it each night.
Making simple lifestyle changes such as eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting adequate rest can help to improve the symptoms of a herniated disc. However, there are other natural treatment options that may also provide relief.
Natural Treatment Options for Herniated Discs
Natural treatment options included for how to heal a herniated disc naturally can include the following: Acupuncture involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body to stimulate healing to disc problems such as bulging discs, ruptured disc or slipped disc. Physical therapy (PT) helps strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and reduce pain associated with herniated discs around the lumbar spine. Yoga combines stretching poses with breathing exercises to promote relaxation and balance in the body and can help lower back pain. Tai Chi is a form of exercise that focuses on slow movements while improving strength, balance, and coordination. Massage therapy can also be beneficial in relieving tension around the affected area as well as reducing inflammation caused by disc herniations.
By taking a holistic approach to treating herniated discs, including natural treatment options, you can reduce pain and improve your quality of life. Now let’s explore how chiropractic care can help manage the symptoms of herniated discs and sciatic nerve pain.
Chiropractic Care for Herniated Discs
Chiropractic care is one way of how to heal a herniated disc naturally, it is a natural non-invasive treatment option and it is the most popular conservative care approach. It involves adjustments of the spine to reduce pain, decrease irritation of the nerves and improve mobility.
Spinal adjustments are designed to realign the vertebrae in order to relieve pressure on the nerves that may be causing pain or discomfort. The chiropractor will use their hands or an instrument such as an activator to gently adjust the joints in order to achieve this goal. Other treatments may include stretching and exercises depending on what your individual needs are determined by your doctor during evaluation.
When seeking out chiropractic care for herniated discs it’s important that you find a qualified practitioner who has experience with treating these types of conditions specifically so they can provide you with safe and effective treatment options tailored just for you. A good way to do this is by asking friends or family members if they have any recommendations or doing research online about local practitioners who specialize in this type of care before making an appointment. Also, check out Google reviews to see what is being said by recent clients. If you are looking for a Denver chiropractor check out these reviews HERE.
Chiropractic care can be a beneficial part of your treatment plan for herniated discs. Now, let’s look at how you can help heal your disc naturally by exploring different sleep positions.
Sleep Positions to Help Heal a Herniated Disc
Sleeping with a herniated disc can be difficult, but there are certain positions that can help relieve pressure on the spine and provide support while healing. One of the best positions for sleeping with a herniated disc is lying on your back with pillows under your knees, try using 1 or 2 and use which feels the best. This position helps to keep the spine in its natural alignment and takes pressure off of the discs in between vertebrae. It also helps to reduce pain by allowing muscles around the spine to relax more easily.
Another good sleep position for those suffering from a herniated disc is sleeping on one’s side with a pillow between their legs/knees. This position allows you to maintain proper spinal alignment while still providing comfort and support during sleep. The pillow should be placed so that it supports both hips evenly, which will prevent any twisting or turning of the lower back throughout the night.
It is important to avoid sleeping on your stomach if you have a herniated disc as this can cause further strain on already damaged discs in between vertebrae, leading to increased pain and discomfort when waking up in the morning. Avoiding this position can also help prevent degenerative disc disease. Additionally, it is not recommended that people sleep without any pillows at all as this does not provide enough support for an injured back or neck area due to lack of cushioning against hard surfaces such as mattresses or bed frames.
Conclusion to How to Heal a Herniated Disc Naturally
In conclusion, herniated discs heal with time and it possible to do this naturally with the right lifestyle changes and natural treatment options. Making sure to get enough restful sleep in the correct positions, along with chiropractic care, acupuncture, physical therapy and supplements can all help heal a herniated disc naturally. With patience and dedication to these methods of treatment, you can successfully heal your herniated disc naturally without resorting to surgery or other invasive treatments.
Are you suffering from a herniated disc? Don’t let it take over your life! Our team of experienced Denver chiropractors are here to help you find the best solutions for your specific condition. Contact us today to learn more about how we can get you on the path towards lifelong wellness and healing!